Thank you for considering contributing to ndeflib. There are many ways to help and any help is welcome.
- Under which versions of Python does this happen? This is especially important if your issue is encoding related.
- Under which version of ndeflib does this happen? Check if this issue is fixed in the repository.
- Include tests if your patch is supposed to solve a bug, and explain clearly under which circumstances the bug happens. Make sure the test fails without your patch.
- Include or update tests and documentation if your patch is supposed to add a new feature. Note that documentation is in two places, the code itself for rendering help pages and in the docs folder for the online documentation.
- Follow PEP 8 and PEP 257.
Fork the repository and clone it locally:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:your-username/ndeflib.git cd ndeflib
Create virtual environments for Python 2 an Python 3, setup the ndeftool package in develop mode, and install required development packages:
virtualenv python-2 python3 -m venv python-3 source python-2/bin/activate python setup.py develop pip install -r requirements-dev.txt source python-3/bin/activate python setup.py develop pip install -r requirements-dev.txt
Verify that all tests pass and the documentation is build:
Preferably develop in the Python 3 virtual environment. Running
toxensures tests are run with both the Python 2 and Python 3 interpreter but it takes some time to complete. Alternatively switch back and forth between versions and just run the tests:
source python-2/bin/activate py.test source python-3/bin/activate py.test
Test coverage should be close to 100 percent. A great help is the HTML output produced by coverage.py:
py.test --cov ndef --cov-report html firefox htmlcov/index.html
The documentation can be created and viewed loacally:
(cd docs && make html) firefox docs/_build/html/index.html